Saturday, October 18, 2014

Download Java / JDK / JRE from shell / terminal / command prompt

Its been really sometime since I blogged anything. Got into too much work both on personal and professional fronts. I will try to be regular henceforth though, hopefully [fingers crossed!!].

Most of my work happens on EC2 and on Linux as our Hadoop env is on EC2. I absolutely adore Linux and shell. And first and foremost thing I have to do - being a Java developer - is download Oracle JDK onto the Linux machines on EC2. And downloading Oracle JDK from Oracle website is difficult due to Oracle's mandatory license check, which you need to accept before downloading the JDK. With my Linux env being server-only-machines [i.e. without a desktop or GUI], there is no way I could download the JDK directly from Oracle website. So, I came up with this small shell script [extending an answer from Stackoverflow] to download JDK from Oracle website from command prompt.

Depending on the OS and platform of the JDK version you intend to download, just modify the array on line#20 in the following script and you can trigger the download on the shell directly.
Hope this script will be helpful for all those who live on and love command prompt.

Update on 05th April, 2015: After a fair bit of time here, I have moved on to GitHub hosted Octopress blogs. Please find me on http://P7h.org henceforth for all new updates.

No comments:

Post a Comment