Saturday, May 25, 2013

My upcoming workshop on Storm at The Fifth Elephant, 2013

The Fifth Elephant is a conference in Bangalore, India which focuses on Big Data and Analytics. Its a community powered conference. This means, as highlighted in their website, it is "Of the Community, By the Community, For the Community". So, any one can propose a session as such for the conference in the Funnel. Participants who have purchased conference tickets can vote on session proposals.

In 2012 edition, Fifth Elephant with more than 50 sessions, attracted 600+ participants from many MNCs, startups alike. This 2-day conference was preceded by a one-day workshop sessions as well due to the overwhelming demand. The biggest USP of any of the HasGeek organized conferences [other than being community powered conferences] is, they live stream most of the sessions and they also upload all the recorded videos to Youtube and / or HasGeek TV.

I gave a session on Introduction to Pig at The Fifth Elephant last year. I have written about it previously here.

The Fifth Elephant is back this year. Its even better with a dedicated day for Workshops at the same venue and the regular 2-day Conference on Big Data, Storage and Analytics and also with the product demos and hacker corners. There are some wonderful sessions proposed including one on Neo4J, Julia, etc and few sessions have already been selected by the Program Committee.

I have been working on Big Data especially on Hadoop Ecosystem since more than 2 years now. I am fascinated by Big Data and various tools / frameworks which help analyze such large amounts of data. During this time, I came across Storm, which not just analyzes the Big Data, but analyzes in real-time. Yes, real-time very unlike Hadoop, which is basically batch-processing. I worked on couple of use cases and processed the streaming live data in really real-time using Storm. I can quote streaming tweets as my main source of real-time data , which I processed for multiple use cases using Storm.

This year I have proposed a session on Storm titled "Big Data, Real-time Processing and Storm" and it has been accepted as the first workshop this time around. I will be speaking on 11th July, 2013. It will be a live-coding session, which will help the participants understand and appreciate Storm as one of the better alternatives of Hadoop. Below is the outline of this workshop.


I have also uploaded the slides of the outline of this workshop to SpeakerDeck.

Check the above slides and do let me know if you have any feedback and / or comments on this outline for the workshop.

Wish me good luck on @P7h. And also if you happen to be there in this Conference, do come and say hi.

Update:
Please find the complete slides of this workshop session here.

Update on 05th April, 2015: After a fair bit of time here, I have moved on to GitHub hosted Octopress blogs. Please find me on http://P7h.org henceforth for all new updates.

No comments:

Post a Comment