Saturday, December 29, 2012

Eclipse startup options or JVM Settings

In continuation to my other post on Eclipse, in this post I am detailing the startup options [which are also called JVM Settings] on Eclipse IDE. Eclipse startup is controlled by the options in eclipse.ini file present under Eclipse installation folder [i.e. $ECLIPSE_HOME]. By default, Eclipse comes with a set of values in this file. But those values are not optimized and might cause issues and / or hangs in large projects which might have huge codebase. These can be tuned further for better performance.

My startup options in my current version of Eclipse Juno i.e. v4.2.1 are below:

Please use these options as a reference and update
eclipse.ini file [please do take a backup of this file prior to updating it]. Also, one more important point to note is, use the latest Sun / Oracle JDK for starting Eclipse. This also has a profound effect on the Eclipse startup time as well as the IDE functionality with a decent sized codebase.

Finally, in case you were looking for tuning the startup options of IntelliJ IDEA, please refer my earlier post which details the parameters for IDEA.


Update on 05th April, 2015: After a fair bit of time here, I have moved on to GitHub hosted Octopress blogs. Please find me on http://P7h.org henceforth for all new updates.

No comments:

Post a Comment